Sign up for my newsletter...

Sign up for my newsletter here...

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Monday, June 13, 2011

My First Blog

Ok so I'm just getting started here with this whole blog thing, but I think I'm gonna like it. I want to make this blog primarily focused on my custom jewelry. I work full-time as a systems engineer for a major defense contractor, and I make jewelry on the side. I started taking an interest in jewelry a couple of years ago when I started purchasing this woman's craft club kit-of-the-month. I then discovered another craft kit-of-the-month that was strictly jewelry sets and other kits containing beads. I quickly got hooked!! I have always had an interest in arts and crafts since I was a young child, and I actually remember winning 1st place in an art contest in elementary school. My favorite subject in school was math and though I wanted to become a math teacher, I eventually ended up going unto engineering. While at the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH), I took some art classes in college. But once I decided to pursue my engineering degree, there was just not much time for other interests.

So... moving ahead to my current situation. I recently moved from Orlando, FL, back "home" to Huntsville, AL, to get married. My husband and I had dated back when I was living in Huntsville (15 years ago) and we reconnected through Facebook (yes I know, this will have to be another blog alone, as its a great story!!) I was fortunate enough to find an engineering job in Huntsville fairly quickly and moved back home to plan my wedding with my husband and our families, who all happen to live in or near Huntsville. As we were trying to save money in any way we could in planning this wedding, I decided to create the jewelry for my entire wedding party. I loved coming up with the designs and creating the necklaces, bracelets, and earrings for my bridesmaids, flower girls, my mom, his mom, and my guest book attendant, and they all seemed to love it, too!!
I showed some of my jewelry to a friend at work, who was getting married in April 2011) and she ended up asking me to design and create the jewelry for her bridal party.
I have had several friends, family members, and even strangers, who have seen me wearing my jewelry, tell me how wonderful my jewelry is and that I should try selling it. So I did just that. I started researching the web and reading several books on marketing and selling jewelry and on starting a small home-based business, and I finally opened my Etsy store just a few weeks ago. I have 26 items listed right now and will continue adding items. No sales just yet, but I'm hoping that will change soon... :-)

Please check out my etsy store:
http://www.awrdesigns.etsy.com

1 comment: